Google

Group Build 2013: Let The Building Begin!

Hello, Tumbleweed fans!

My name is Sarah. My partner, Joseph and I are Tumbleweed fans too… so much so that we are building one! We are super-excited to be joining two other couples in a group build this summer.

Meet the awesome folks we’ll be building with:

• Meg and Dan Stephens will be building Meg’s own design, the Tumbleweed Linden. Meg is the rockstar, ahem, in-house architect at Tumbleweed.
  • You may remember Joe and Breanna from their sweet Valentine’s Day story about how a love of Tumbleweed houses actually brought them together. They will be building the classic yet modern Cypress 20 with dormers.
  • And finally, Joseph and I can’t wait to get started building the tiny house of our dreams, a modified Cypress 20. You can read more about us, and follow our tiny house journey at seedswithwings.com.

Over the next few months we six will be sharing a work site, some tools and resources, and muscles. Each couple will be working mainly on their own house, but we’ll help each other out as needed, with practical things like lifting up the walls, and with the intangibles, like advice and learning from each others’ mistakes. Even as we’re just getting started, it’s also nice to know that there are others in this with us.

We’ll be reporting back to you every week or so about our progress, what we’re learning about building, and about building with a group.

groupbuild-trailer

We’ve been planning for our builds and buying materials for a couple of months now, but we felt like we were getting started for real a few days ago when our beautiful new Tumbleweed trailers rolled into town. As you can see in the photo, the trailers look great (and so do we!)

Joseph and I found out they also roll (and brake!) just as beautifully when we hitched ours to our truck and towed it a few hours into Eastern California to pick up some cedar siding. We’re already seeing a financial benefit to doing the build as a group as we were able to share the cost of a full pallet of surplus siding at a good price. A pallet is too much for one tiny house, but should work out just great for three houses.

We’ve got the trailers; the group build begins!

-Sarah Weintraub

Sarah Weintraub and Joseph Schommer of Seeds With Wings will be joining the Tumbleweed writing team for the next few months to report on a very exciting new project… a group build of three Tumbleweeds to take place this Summer and Fall in Sonoma, CA.

• Jeffrey Guerrier

Awsome keep up the good work. I be looking for those build videos on youtube. If there on there. Don’t start the build without the video recording.

• Sue

Not ready yet, but I TOTALLY want to be part of a ‘group build,’ like the Amish doing their barn raisings. Cool!

• Charlie Rohkohl

Same here. There are some really great communities out there! One is simply called The Farm and is located in Tenessee

• Chris Neal

LOVE the group pic! great job on the house!

• Joanna Gear

I would like to do this with a small community of retired peeps somewhere on the west side of N. California within the next 5 years.

• rosebud12

Me too, I am eyeing a parcel of property here in UT.

• Sharon

Very excited to watch this group building. I am also interested in small cottage pocket neighborhoods of like-minded people. What you are starting I believe will become a welcome answer for people wanting to live simply, connect with others and have financial freedom. I’ll be watching with great interest. Thank you for sharing your group building adventure.

• Mak

My wife and I are in East Texas near Nacogdoches and we are looking into building a pocket neighborhood of tiny homes. We will probably also build a home on wheels like yourselves. Looking forward to seeing the progress of the group.
    Mark

• Pingback: WOW! Community builds 40 micro-houses for the homeless in one day | Exopermaculture

• Amanda Morales

Awesome! My husband and I love tiny homes! Currently we live in a 500 square foot apartment in Dallas, TX. I would love to know when you have a small home available so that we could look into living there! The smallest I would be comfortable living in would be 400 square feet because we are currently expecting our first child. Please keep me posted! So happy that you are doing this. I had an idea to start a small home community in my city but I dont know how to get started. If you have some information on that as well I would be so grateful! Thanks!

• Amanda Morales

Awesome! My husband and I love tiny homes! Currently we live in a 500 square foot apartment in Dallas, TX. I would love to know when you have a small home available so that we could look into living there! The smallest I would be comfortable living in would be 400 square feet because we are currently expecting our first child. Please keep me posted! So happy that you are doing this. I had an idea to start a small home community in my city but I dont know how to get started. If you have some information on that as well I would be so grateful! Thanks!

Cottages

bodega loring nv
    harbinger Whidbey sebastarosa
    enesti b53 zglass
  • Recent Posts

• Recent Comments